PATHFINDER Ruck Training Forward Program Requirements
PATHFINDER Forward Program Requirements
Over a twelve week period, you will complete the following:
Baseline Performance Fitness Assessment
- This is required. Please read Everything You Need to Know: Baseline Performance Fitness Assessment for further details.
Minimum 75 Miles Under Ruck
- In twelve weeks, you will ruck at least 75 miles.
- All miles rucked count towards the total, including miles rucked during the Challenges below
- A minimum of 1 continuous mile must be rucked in order to count.
Minimum 20 Workouts
- All workouts and disciplines are now allowed in PATHFINDER programming. It is no longer required that workouts include a ruck.
- We strongly advise all Rosters to consider their workout planning following these guidelines:
- Do you have an Endurance Event on the calendar and are currently training for it? Make sure the majority of your workouts are ruck, sandbag and strength training workouts.
- Are you considering an Endurance Event but have not committed yet? Divide your workouts into 50% ruck, sandbag and strength training and 50% your choice of type and discipline.
- Are you maintaining Forward programming level fitness? You may select whatever kind of workout you'd prefer.
Minimum 4 PATHFINDER Forward Challenges
- Use these to test yourself and your team in various ways under various conditions.
- Challenges are the chance to discover your strengths and uncover your weaknesses.
- See full list of challenge options below.
PATHFINDER Forward Challenges
In twelve weeks, you will complete a minimum of four (4) of the following PATHFINDER Forward challenges.
- All Challenges are listed numerically/alphabetically.
- Challenges listed here do not have a stated ruck weight requirement.
- Every Challenge must be completed by itself.
- Challenges may not be combined in any way.
- Each Challenge only counts once toward the required total of four.
- Plan accordingly!
4-Mile Beach Ruck
- 4 mile ruck on soft sand, wetting feet at the beginning and midway point of the Challenge.
- Designed to test your body, pacing and equipment on sandy and wet terrain.
- Read Everything You Need to Know: Beach Ruck for further details.
8-Mile Coupon Ruck
- Move 45 lbs. of coupons (additional non-ruck weight) for every two (2) people for eight (8) miles.
- One person alone will still need to carry the 45 lbs. for a portion of the challenge.
- Add 25 lbs. for each additional person on the team (3 people carry 70 lbs.)
- Do not split the coupon weight equally among teammates, rather find coupons of varying weight, i.e. 30 lb. sandbag and 15 lb. kettlebell.
- Practice creative ways of distributing the weight.
- Read Everything You Need to Know: Coupon Ruck for further details.
8-Mile Mountain Ruck
- Ruck on trails in a mountainous area - hilly with rough terrain.
- If you don't have mountains near you, select another Challenge.
- This will work different muscles than you typically work when rucking on flat sidewalks.
- Read Everything You Need to Know: Mountain Ruck for further information.
10-Mile Overnight Ruck
- Start at some point after sunset (after dark), and don’t stop until you reach 10 miles.
- Get used to rucking in the dark and wearing your ruck for a longer period of time.
- Practice night vision and use of your head lamp ONLY when required (red filter preferred).
- Read Everything You Need to Know: 10-Mile Overnight Ruck for further information.
12-Mile Timed Ruck in 3.5 hours or less (17:30 min/mi pace)
- Get used to pushing a quick pace on a ruck.
- Learn your pace and practice without your watch.
- Learn to judge distance by time and pace.
- Read Everything You Need to Know: Timed 12 Mile Ruck Challenge post for further information.
36-Mile Pre/Post Workout Ruck Challenge
- This challenge gives you more practice wearing the ruck for longer periods of time, and encourages you to ruck and do PT in succession.
- Ruck a total of 36 miles before and/or after a workout.
- Combine rucking and workouts, i.e. 12 pre-workout rucks @ 3 miles each, or 9 post-workout rucks @ 4 miles each, or combinations thereof.
- You must ruck a minimum of one (1) continuous mile and may ruck up to a maximum of three (3) miles before and/or after your workout.
- Read Everything You Need to Know: 36 Miles Pre/Post Workout
36-Mile Pre/Post Workout Ruck Plus Yoga Challenge
- 9 x 15-plus minutes of yoga, flexibility or mobility work to complement your miles+workout training.
- Read Everything You Need to Know: 36 Miles Pre/Post Workout WITH Yoga Challenge for more information.
APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test) -- PASS; OR, Attempt the test, and show improvement, four (4) times -- five (5) tests total.
- Age/Gender weighted
- You must score a minimum of 60 in each of the following events2 Minutes: Maximum Push-Ups (Proper Form)
- 2 Minutes: Maximum Sit-Ups (Proper Form)
- 2 Mile Run OR Approved Alternate Pacer
- Use this scoring calculator: http://apftcalculator.com/
- If you pass the test while working on improvement, you have satisfied this challenge.
- You must improve at least one (1) test dimension without falling back in any other dimension for the attempt to count towards improvement.
- Use your test scores to monitor your progress throughout the twelve weeks.
- Read Everything You Need to Know: APFT for further information on this Challenge.
Approved Reading Challenge
- Read two (2) books during the Class and build your mental resilience along with your physical endurance:
- Read one (1) book from the Approved Reading List
- Read one (1) book of your choice.
- Audiobooks are allowed
- Read Everything You Need to Know: Approved Reading List for more information.
Back-to-Back Day Rucks
- Day 1: 4 Miles
- Day 2: 6 Miles
- Day 3: 8 Miles
- Read Everything You Need to Know: Back-to-Back Day Rucks for further details.
Charity Challenges Live Challenge
- Charity Challenges is a PATHFINDER Partner Organization and donates 100% of net proceeds to charities we support.
- Register separately here.
- Read the Everything You Need to Know: Charity Challenges for more information.
Endurance Event Challenge
- Successfully complete a GORUCK Light/Basic Challenge, GORUCK Tough Challenge, or equivalent ruck-based challenge.
- Other non-GORUCK Events may be approved, but you must contact PATHFINDER for specifics.
- Read Everything You Need to Know: Endurance Event Challenge for more information.
- Stairs conditioning Challenge
- 30 consecutive minutes of stair climbing three (3) times no more frequently than once every seven (7) days (i.e. once a week)
- Read Everything You Need to Know: Firefighter Challenge for further details.
Trails can be hiked in any distance order, as long as all distances have been completed.
- 2 miles
- 3 miles
- 4 miles
- 5 miles
- There is no stated weight requirement for rosters in these programs for this Challenge. An appropriately challenging weight for the roster's fitness level must be in the ruck at all times.
- Read Hiking Challenge: Everything You Need to Know for more details.
Level Up Challenge
- Level Up your miles to the Endure standard.
- Set a higher goal for yourself and ruck on!
- Read the Everything You Need to Know: Level Up for more information.
Snow Ruck Challenge
- There is no stated minimum weight requirement. An appropriately challenging weight for the rosters fitness level must be in the ruck at all times.
- This Challenge is tiered based on the amount of snow present, regardless of your current programming.
- Read Everything You Need to Know: Snow Ruck for more information.
- 9 x 45-minute full-body yoga sessions of your choice
- Improve your mobility, flexibility and improve your recovery time by incorporating yoga into your Forward programming.
- Read Everything You Need to Know: Yoga Challenge for further details.