- The PATHFINDER Mountain Ruck Challenge is designed to test your body, pacing and equipment on varied terrain.
The Mountain Ruck Challenge must be completed on mountain trails.
- Mountains are classified as a large natural elevation of the earth's surface rising abruptly from the surrounding level. If the area does not appear on a topographical map of mountain ranges, it does not qualify as a mountain.
- A mountain is generally steeper than a hill, however many lower mountain areas are sufficiently difficult for this Challenge.
Use unpaved trails for this Challenge.
- Gravel and worn dirt trails are acceptable.
- Use only marked (blazed) trails for safety.
The Challenge should be done all at once.
- Breaks for water, food, foot care and gear check are allowed and encouraged.
- Breaks are recommended to be no longer than 15 minutes.
A weighted ruck will be worn for the entire Challenge. (See Weight Requirements.)
Challenge Distance Requirements
- Life: this is not currently a Challenge for Life programming.
- Forward: required distance to complete the Challenge is 8 miles
- Endure: required distance to complete the Challenge is 10 miles
- Advanced: required distance is to complete the Challenge is 10 miles at the prescribed weight (see below)
- Compete: required distance is to complete the Challenge is 10 miles at the prescribed weight (see below)
- Stirling: required distance is to complete the Challenge is 12 miles at the prescribed weight (see below)
Challenge Weight Requirements
- Forward and Endure: there is no stated minimum weight requirement. An appropriately challenging weight for the rosters fitness level must be in the ruck at all times.
- Advanced and Compete: 45# ruck dry weight for body weight of 150# or more, or 30# ruck dry weight for body weight less than 150#
- Stirling: 50# ruck dry weight for all rosters
Challenge Time Requirements
- There are no time requirements for this Challenge.
- Ruck safely. Communicate your route and estimated times to another individual/party who can alert
- Paved trails (concrete, asphalt, similar) should not be used for this Challenge. Gravel trails are acceptable.
- Stairs are not an appropriate substitute for this Challenge. If stairs are the only option in your area, consider the Firefighter Challenge instead.
- YOU MUST COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE LAWS AND RESTRICTIONS wherever you choose to complete this Challenge. DO NOT TRESPASS. PATHFINDER assumes no liability whatsoever for any actions taken by a PATHFINDER roster.
ALL PATHFINDER CHALLENGES ARE COPYRIGHT PATHFINDER RUCK TRAINING, LLC.