PT CHALLENGE Purpose
The PATHFINDER PT Challenge is meant as 10-week practice to perfect and train for the GORUCK Team Assessment PT test.
The PT Challenge is not designed as a weekly "test." Rather, it's an ongoing practice to chart your work on form, technique and preparation skills required for this unique Event. As a 6-minute mini-workout, it can fit quickly in pre- or post-workout, pre- or post-miles, or stand on its own on as part of an Active Recovery day.
- You should be working on the exercises during workouts as well.
- On Weeks 2, 4, 6, and 8, you will video your form to share with the private Compete Facebook group.
This Challenge allows you to more officially chart your weekly progress and receive objective feedback in four private group shares.
This Challenge also provides you with the psychological benefit of working through potential discomfort performing in front of the judgement of Cadre. The more prepared you are for the non-physical aspects of the PT test and the pressure associated with it, the better. It can be daunting to feel judged, and practicing and envisioning that experience during both your private practices and your videoed group practice is a solid way to reframe the experience in a positive way.
The PATHFINDER PT Challenge Finish is based SOLELY on your consecutive 10 weeks of attempts and not your overall score. Because three exercises were chosen by PATHFINDER based on educated guess, they will represent strength gains and overall physical improvements regardless.
PT CHALLENGE Requirements
This Challenge’s requirements are exclusively for the PATHFINDER Compete Program. The exercises do have the possibility of changing once the GORUCK Team Assessment 2021 workout is known. The added exercises are PATHFINDER's best guesses and are not a guarantee.
The exercises are:
- Hand Release Push-Ups
- Butterfly Sit-Ups
- Sandbag Squat Cleans
- Sandbag Push Press
- Turkish Get-Ups
- Dead Hangs
As you begin to work on these exercises, take a minute to view the videos linked for the best form understanding. If you are unfamiliar with an exercise, practice tips are below.
*All exercises, by Week 10, should be done with a ruck or per GORUCK weight standards. At the current time, that means:
- Ruck for Open participants @ dry weight of 45 lbs
- Ruck for Female participants @ dry weight of 30 lbs.
- Sandbags for the Sandbag Squat Clean @ 80lbs (slick) Open, 60 Female
- Sandbag for Sandbag Push Press @ 80lbs Open, 60lbs Female
- Turkish Get-Ups using ruck
- Dead Hangs wearing ruck
DO NOT begin working with these exercises at their required weights if you are new to the movements. There is a real danger for injury if performed prior to appropriate preparations. Always warm up prior to these movements. We recommend the following videos for some warm-up ideas, especially for shoulder movements:
PT CHALLENGE DETAILS
The Standards set forth in the graphic below are what you are working towards.
Do what you can in one minute, and grow each dimension individually.
If you notice that you are weak in Turkish Get Ups, as an example, work on the movement for one minute. Then, in your workouts, add reps of that movement (or the modified versions* of it) into workouts later in the week.
The PATHFINDER-specific exercises were chosen for Compete rosters based on building strength in potentially neglected areas and the central nervous system demands of those movements.
Each week (Weeks 1 -10) of this Challenge, record your best effort and the implements you used (ruck, sandbag and weight in both) as you improve.
First, choose your starting weight.
- The sandbag weight will be different for everyone. Select a sandbag weight that you can do a few reps on with good form (especially for the Overhead Push Press) and make that your starting point. (Watch the exercises videos above if you have not already for form pointers. They were chosen as the best current online examples.)
- If your body control is loose, or you are struggling after two reps to maintain proper form, drop weight from the sandbag. We recommend you use multiple 5 - 10lb sand pills if you are in the process of increasing weight for the best outcome.
Then, increase weekly by either weight or reps
Increase the weight by 5-10% each week, based on where you began. Always keep your eye on proper form. If you struggle with a weight addition, back off and try the following week. As you progressively load, it will increase your muscle efficiency and strength potential. Always allow yourself to rest if you need to at any point while you are increasing weight. Towards the end of the Compete program, you will notice that need diminishing as your strength gains peak.
The specifics for videoing your efforts for the private Compete group page will be communicated by your CAs.
PT CHALLENGE Restrictions
- No videos made by any Class Rosters or CAs may be downloaded, saved or shared by any member.
- Ruck safely. Communicate your route and estimated times to another individual/party who can alert
- YOU MUST COMPLY WITH ALL APPLICABLE LAWS AND RESTRICTIONS. DO NOT TRESPASS. If you are in doubt contact facility management for a clear understanding of access to and usage of any facility’s property. PATHFINDER assumes no liability whatsoever for any actions taken by a PATHFINDER roster.
PATHFINDER assumes no responsibility or liability for any injuries, damages or death. A roster assumes all risk associated with their participation in any and all PATHFINDER programming.
ALL PATHFINDER CHALLENGES ARE COPYRIGHT © PATHFINDER RUCK TRAINING.